Dancing With the Stars may look a bit different when it returns for Season 28, ABC says. The network’s entertainment president Karey Burke recently told reporters that there were “format changes” coming after last fall’s controversial competition. However, the spirit of the show will remain the same.
Burk talked about the changes to Dancing With the Stars last week at the Television Critics Association summer press tour. According to a report by TV Line, she talked about “tweaks” to the format, bringing the art of dancing itself more to the forefront.
“It’s about [shifting] the focus of the show to really focus on it being a celebration of dance, and also focusing on the celebrities,” Burk said.
Burke wanted to see Dancing With the Stars “leaning into its strengths” in the upcoming season, hoping to solidify its position as “the most entertaining show on television.”
As for the cast itself, Burke did not share any names or even hints about who might grace the stage this year. However, she did promise that the lineup is “really good” this time around.
Dancing With the Stars is one of ABC’s most popular shows, and has been a staple of its lineup since 2005. The show typically runs two separate competitions — one in the fall TV season and one in the spring. This year, however, ABC skipped the spring cycle altogether for the first time since the show launched.
This was presumably because of fan outrage over the fall cycle. At the end of 2018, several frontrunners on the show with high scores from their performances lost out to radio DJ Bobby Bones, a figure not everyone was a huge fan of.
Dancing With the Stars Season 28 premieres on Sept. 16, 2019.