Ben & Jerry’s shared their edible chocolate chip cookie dough recipe, and it’s the same one used for their frozen dough balls found in their ice creams.
Making the dough from scratch is a great activity to do at home and it’s completely safe to eat raw since the recipe doesn’t require eggs and the flour is heat-treated to destroy any harmful contaminants like E. coli and Salmonella.
Ben & Jerry’s Edible Cookie Dough
1 cup flour
8 Tbsp. unsalted butter (1 stick), room temperature
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. heavy cream
½ tsp. kosher salt
½ cup chocolate chips
1. First, heat treat the flour to ensure it is safe to eat. (Do not skip this step, untreated flour can contain contaminants and is not safe to eat.) Place the flour in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high in 30-second intervals, stirring in between. Use an instant-read thermometer to ensure that the flour reaches 165°F throughout.
2. In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add the vanilla, cream, and salt. Mix to combine. Then add the heat treated flour and mix to incorporate.
4. Fold in the chocolate chips.
5. Serve and enjoy! Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Makes: About 2 cups
If you don’t feel like making them yourself, Ben and Jerry’s is now selling the dough by itself in packs.
View this post on Instagram