City of Chesapeake
The City will resume collection of bulk waste of all types (except construction debris), beginning Wed, Aug 5. This will be accomplished by sweeping the City in multiple passes until Aug 14. Residents may place storm debris & other bulk items at the curb on their collection day.
Residents will NOT be required to submit a bulk trash collection request until after Aug 14. Bulk collections during this time will not count against the annual 12-collection bulk limits.
Bulk waste is limited to one 4-ft-wide x 4-ft-high x 10-ft-long pile. Tree limbs, branches and sticks must not exceed 6 inches in diameter and 6 feet in length. Residents should place bulk household items and bagged or stacked yard waste/limbs/branches in separate piles.
City of Newport News
Solid waste collections (trash, recycling and bulk waste) will not take place on Tuesday, August 4. Collections will resume on Wednesday and will be delayed one day (Tuesday’s collections will take place on Wednesday, Wednesday’s on Thursday, and Thursday’s on Friday). Residents are asked not to place bulk trash or yard debris at the curb, as it can block storm drains and cause flooding issues and to make sure cans are not at the curb and are safely secured.
City of Norfolk
- Yard waste is collected on the same day as regular trash collection.
- Yard waste must be in clear plastic bags or properly cut, tied, and bundled (four (4) feet in length).
- Up to twenty (20) clear bags, weighing no more than forty-five (45) pounds or twenty (20) bundles of yard waste (not to exceed three (3) cubic feet) is accepted per collection.
- Yard waste limbs and branches must be six (6) inches in diameter or less for collection and tied into bundles that are no longer than four feet long and no larger than eighteen (18) inches in diameter.
- Yard waste must not be contaminated with other debris.
- Lawn services and contractors are responsible for removing yard waste generated.
Drop off yard debris at the Norfolk SPSA Transfer Station (3136 Woodland Ave. #) for FREE during the following times: Saturdays (8am-4pm) Sundays (12pm–4pm)
*Waste Management – All bulk and yard waste collection is suspended until Wednesday, August 5th
Bags of extra household trash will not be removed. Any other items placed outside of the trash container for removal by the Sanitation Department will be considered a Special Collection. Residents who require more than 12 collections per year or who have collections in excess of 12 cubic yards, but less than 24 cubic yards may have these items removed for a fee.
Additional Collection Fees
The fees for additional Special Collections are listed below:
- 1 to 12 cubic yards $ 47.50 (after 12 collections have be used)
- 13 to 24 cubic yards $ 47.50 (before 12 collections have be used)
- 13 to 24 cubic yards $ 105.00 (after 12 collections have be used)
- Evictions $ 170.00
- Limbs up to 4 feet long and 6 inches in diameter will be collected in a pile not to exceed 4 x 4 x 4 feet.
- Two piles, generated from each house, will be collected on each collection day.
- You may also dispose of smaller yard debris, such as grass and leaves (no dirt, rocks, mulch or root balls) in up to 25 clear plastic bags, not more than 25 lbs. per bag.
- Tree removal debris is not collected at the curbside. However, it can be collected through the yard debris container program, provided each piece is no larger than 6 inches in diameter.
- Residents can rent a yard debris container or they can utilize the Landfill and Resource Recovery Center for yard waste disposal.
- Any work done by private contractors must be disposed of by the contractor.
- Contact Dominion Energy at dominionenergy.com or 866-366-4357 to report or check power outages or to report downed power lines.
- Do not operate portable generators, grills (gas or charcoal) inside your home or garage. Treat all downed power lines as live.