CAKE BOSS’s Buddy Valastro’s Hand Was Impaled During ‘Terrible’ Bowling Accident

Ouch! Cake Boss’s Buddy Valastro recently suffered a horrific injury while bowling in his family’s New Jersey home on Sunday.

His rep told PEOPLE  the accident happened at his family at home, which is equipped with a bowling alley. “There was a malfunction with the bowling pinsetter, a common fix in the past, but turned into a terrible accident,” they said.

“After trying to release the bowling pin from the cage mechanism, his right hand became lodged and compressed inside the unit,” they continued. “Unable to remove his hand, he can see a 1-1/2″ metal rod slowly and repeatedly impale his hand three times between his ring finger and middle finger.”

In order to free him, his two sons had to use a reciprocating saw “to cut through the metal rod and relieve his father from the machine.”

The injury required two surgeries and he is back home now recovering.  “It will be an uphill battle as it’s Buddy’s dominant right hand and he will need prolonged recovery and therapy.”